Amazon Seller Central has a platform for advertising your products throughout the Amazon Marketplace. It is a great way to obtain quality leads to buyers searching for your product niche or keyword. With proper optimized listings and products, you will quickly be on your way to bringing in thousands a month selling on Amazon. Once you start generating income, we recommend using to easily send your Amazon settlements to QuickBooks Online or Xero Accounting.
Why use ads on the Amazon Seller Central?
For starters, ads are an excellent way to generate more leads to your Amazon listings. Buyers looking for a particular product can see your product at the top of the search engine. Hitting the right keywords on the ad platform can help generate thousands of sales if done correctly. Using allows you to:
- Increase sales
- Show customers what they’re looking for
- Get products discovered
- Control advertising costs
It is essential to keep in mind that Amazon Seller Central ads are different from Google Adwords or Facebook Ads. You are targeting buyers only on the Amazon platform and not on any third-party website, search engine, or social network. Additionally, the buyers will be redirected to a listing on the Amazon marketplace and not another site (e.g., shopify or landing page). Finally, you are only competing with and bidding against other sellers on the Amazon advertising platform and not other websites or blogs.
How do you get started with Amazon Ads?
The simple version:
2. Choose your products you want to advertise.
3. Decide how much you’ll bid for clicks and set an overall budget.
4. In just a few minutes, you can launch your first campaign!
More detailed version:
Once you have logged into your Amazon account or signed up for a new account, you can start setting up your ad campaigns. In your Amazon Seller Central account, you are going to want to go to select “Advertising” and then “Campaign Manager”.
You can then get started by selecting “Create New Campaign,” where you can choose your budget, length, and whether you would like to manually select your keywords or have Amazon automatically choose them for you. We recommend putting the campaign on automatic to get started. After starting a new campaign, you have to create an “Ad Group” where you select the products that you would like to incorporate in your ads. After a few days, we always start to optimize our Ads and listings to increase the sales efficiency of our campaigns (see below).
Where can you place Amazon Seller Central ads?
There are three main types of ads – Amazon Sponsored Product Ads, Headline Search Ads, and Amazon Product Display Ads. Each campaign can only run one type of Ad.
1. Amazon Sponsored Product Ads
Sponsored Product Ads is the most popular type of ad campaign and used by the majority of Amazon Marketplace Sellers. After a buyer searches a specific keyword, he or she will find your sponsored product towards the top or bottom of the search. Once the buyer clicks on the product link, they will be directed towards your product landing page. Sponsored Product Ads are keyword-based, and sellers can choose from exact, phrase, or broad match types.
There are no monthly fees; payment is made when an Amazon shopper clicks your ad to go to the detail page where your offer is listed. No images or custom writing is necessary to get started with Sponsored Product Ads, making it relatively simple and easy to use.
2. Headline Search Ads
Amazon recently allowed third-party sellers to start using Headline Search Ads. These advertisements are a great way to show off your brand and increase your sales on Amazon at the same time. Ads are displayed in the search results page as headline banner ads and can display your brand’s logo. Once a buyer clicks your ad they are directed to a landing page that contains products you select from your Amazon Marketplace store.
Headline Search Ads are cost-per-click, similar to the Sponsored Product Ads. Please note: to use Headline Search Ads, you must first be enrolled in the Amazon Brand Registry or have an Amazon Vendor account. However, Headline Search Ads will be shown to shoppers regardless of who is winning the Buy Box.
3. Amazon Product Display Ads
Is it necessary to use all 3 of these, or should you choose only one of them?
At the end of the day, it all comes down your preferences and needs for selling on Amazon. Ideally, you want to initially focus on one type of ad category. Additionally, you may want to take account costs, which often change based on supply and demand. Most likely you should get started with the Amazon Sponsored Products Ads and move on to the other ad categories as necessary.
Does Amazon PPC influence product rankings?
Definitely! Sales history is one of the criteria for ranking on the Amazon Marketplace. The more sales, the higher your product will show up in the search. Using Amazon ads will increase your sales, leading to a higher ranking in the Amazon search page.
How much should you spend on Amazon Ads?
This always depends on the budget you have to spend on ads and any sales boost you observe from using the Ad platform. We recommend starting small and increasing slowly as you get more comfortable with the platform. If you would like to get started with $50 in free credits towards advertising on Amazon, you can click .
How many keywords should you include?
We usually start off with a significant amount of keywords and end up cutting out a lot of the “inefficient” keywords using ACoS. You should probably start out with over 100 keywords depending on the products that you are looking to target. To find long-tailed keywords we use a free tool called . It’s a very powerful tool to find keywords that be difficult to find on your own.
What is Advertising Cost of Sale (ACoS)?
ACoS or Advertising Cost of Sale is a metric to measure the performance of your Amazon Ad Campaigns. ACoS is calculated by dividing amount spend on ads by the sales made on the campaign or keyword. To optimize your listings, we recommend:
- Lowering your bids on keywords with high ACoS.
- Increasing bids on keywords with low or high performing ACoS.
- Set up ad groups by ACoS goal.
- Always monitor keywords!
Are there any restrictions?
There are a number of Ad restrictions that you should consider, including:
- For Sponsored Products and Headline Search Ads in the US, product listings must be new and fall into one or more of the available categories listed . Categories include Apparel, Appliances, Computers, Collectible Coins, and many more.
- Adult products, used products, or refurbished products are not eligible for advertising.
- If you create an ad for a product listing that is not eligible for the Buy Box, your ad will not display to Amazon shoppers.
- You must be able to ship to all US addresses.
- Advertisers must maintain an advertising account in good standing with Amazon.
Other Things to Keep in Mind
Here are some other tips you should keep in mind as you are launching and checking up on your Ad Campaign:
- Monitor Results: Always monitor your campaigns and keywords to ensure that they are profitable. We like to check up on our campaigns every day or two to make sure that everything is running as planned.
- Keep Adding or Removing Keywords: A few days after you launch your campaign you will want to search through your keywords and increase or reduce the bids of keywords that have high or low ACoS. You may also want to add or remove keywords as the campaign goes on.
- Optimize, Optimize, Optimize: After collecting a bunch of data, you should optimize as much as possible to ensure the most efficient and profitable advertising campaign.
In the end . . .
No matter which type of campaign you choose or how much you end up spending, using Amazon Ads is an excellent opportunity to give a boost your sales and can do wonders for your business. Just remember, Amazon Seller Central is excellent for launching a new product or boosting sales of an old one, but it should not be used as a replacement for optimizing your product listings. Optimizing your listings is not only free, but also increases the efficiency of your advertisements.